Monday, April 28, 2008

Walking For A Cure.....

I'm training for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in Boston, MA on May 17 & 18, 2008. It's a two day walk, and we have the option of either 26 or 13 miles the first day, and 13 miles the second day. I am opting for 13 on day one, since I am a newbie, and I need to take it easy.
I'm a breast cancer survivor. I was diagnosed in September of 2001, detected by a momogram, with early stage two breast cancer in my left breast. I had a lumpectomy in October 2001 and began chemotherapy in December 2001. My treatment was half chemotherapy, then six weeks of radiation, then the second half of my chemotherapy. I ended treatment in May of 2002! Yeah!

Here it is, almost May 2008. I can hardly beleive it has been six years. I have promised myself that I would one day walk the Avon Walk, like my daughter Laura did in my honor in May of 2002, when I was just finishing up my treatment. Laura was just 16 at the time, and lied about her age so she could do it! Back then, the Avon Walk was a three-day walk, 20/20/20 for atotal of SIXTY miles! She did it, and I was so proud. I always vowed I would do the walk one day. When my friend Stacey announced she was doing it, that planted the seed for me to do it! I had reservations, but everything seems to be working out. The bonus is: I am getting the benefits of extra energy, peace of mind, and shedding excess pounds. Yes, everything the health magazines say is true... they are NOT making it up! It honest-to God feels good to walk and exercise!
OK, I admit it sounds cliche. But I swear.... there is a serenity that comes with walking. Go figure! LOL!

So, that's what's up with me these days....

And I'm trying to fit in stamping & creating somehow. After the Walk I can commit myself to it more....

Thanks to all my friends for your undying support. Don't know where I'd be without ya's. (that's Northern for y'all)!!!

No comments: